Welcome to June and Winter in Australia. It is the Queens Birthday long Weekend here and it has been lovely having a the weekend off!!
I was checking out Youtube last night and found anew Tutorial from Nik the Booksmith on creating what she called a “Rat Pack Journal” this looked like fun so I thought I would give it a go! Her Video is “HERE” if you would like to pop over and have a look.
I decided to make my journal cover, from some cardboard packaging that I rec a book in. It was sturdy enough that I thought I wouldn’t bother strengthening the covers like I normally would with extra cardboard. I thought a soft, squishy cover, would be nice for a change and I measured it roughly 8.5×8.25″ (17×16.5″) I then mesured out where the spine would be and how wide I wanted it. I just eyeballed it with a pen and ruler as it was too big to place in my trimmer.
I nearly always use book tape which I find at Bunnings, to add a bit of strength to the spine as it takes the load of the signature (lots of papers). and binding. I decided this journal didn’t need it.
I had some of this nice fabric left that I found ages ago and thought it was lovely, so I used a bit more of it on this journal. I just placed the covers on the fabric and cut around it. I then cut a way a bit of the excesses fabric and cut a few notches so it would fold over the edges properly.
I used some thin double sided tape on it just to hold it, while I machines around the edges with a zig zag stitch. I am pretty happy with how the cover came out.
For the inside covers I used some retired SU DSP that I thought was a good match, of course its Blue!!. I just adhered it with tape and some strong clear glue.
This was the ‘RAT PACK” part of this journal, as I had been saving these lined scrapbook pages and my coffee stained note paper. ………………. I just cut them down to a good size and sew a few pagers together. I made 3 signatures. Of course you don’t need to sew them together as they will stay in the book once you do your binding.
I made this one into a pocket just by sewing three sides together and punching a spot at the top so I can get bit and bobs out of it.