Wow! I am having a very busy week as we all do! I have had my oldest son around today for a while, and my youngest is at work. It has been nice catching up with him and while he has been playing a new video game, I thought I would have a bit of a play in my Vintage Nameless Art Journal and do a few pretties on my personal journal.
I decided to add some feminine softness to the pages, so I added some different trims along the edges of the pages. I also made some tabs from them also.
I wanted to do a couple more pages in my Nameless Art Journal and I came up with these two.
I like the look of the two photos above. The men looked deep in thought. Object Trov’e means – discarded objects found by chance. I related to this as the items used on in this journal have been discarded by others and found by me! I used some layers of book paper and music paper, stamps, packaging tags I made and the clock stickers.
I had a few Tim Holtz Emphemera Film Strips and decided to use these two, I used some stamping, layers of paper and tags washi tape, faux stitching, and some journal stickers. I used a bit of paint to tone down the bright butterflies and a black pen to go around the edges of the tags. The quote in the middles says “ordinary people can do extraordinary things” I am sure all these people in the photos did do wonderful things in their lifetime………………………….
Johanna’s class is now finished but I am continuing to fill up my Journal with Nameless photos and giving them a story!
You can have a go at her class on YouTube and it is free and really fun to create along with her!
Have a great weekend, I will be back with some more of my art journal over the weekend.
If you haven’t worked it out yet, I am partial to Butterflies and Birds. This cover I have used the Napkin Decoupage Technique I showed you in my “PREVIOUS POST”
I love how this turned out. It has layers of the old book page, napkin, washi tape, clear stickers and a small panel with Tim Holtz Mixed Media Birdie, Tissue paper on it. You can see I used this technique all over the book cover and did a bit of highlighting with some TH Distress Crayon. I have also added my eyelets on the 3″ spine ready for my page signatures.
This picture above gives you a bit clearer look at the layers and the Focal Point panel on its own, which is adhered with some foam tape and dimensional glaze for extra strength. If you notice that the edges of the covers are not perfect and that is the way I like them. I just have to cover the inside pages, more than likely with scrapbook paper and then make the “junk” part of the journal before I start embellishing and using it 🙂
I have been thinking about creating a Collection/Compendium Journal for myself. I found a cool book on the weekend in an op shop in Ballarat and for $3 I couldn’t leave it there. It is an old National Geographic book and I am giving it life! It measures 6 x 10 with an approx 2″ spine. I loved the size and it is perfect for me, to add what I want to it.
I have a bit of a collection of items in my JJ bin and thought I would use them plus other stuff in it like pictures and things from my Daphnes Diary magazines, tickets, tags, receipts, envelopes, happy mail, postcards, etc.
I decided I wanted to cover the spine with some denim fabric that I had from some old jeans of my boys and then I added the bit of lace. I then covered both sides of the front and back with some rose scrapbook paper cut to size. I watched a great YouTube video “HERE” and I decided to have a go at creating my journal cover with some mixed media fun!
I basically just followed the Tutorial by using a stencil with texture paste on the background and I made a heart with scrap cardboard. I then added bits of wood veneer and metal embellishments around the heart. I just cut a couple of small pieces of burlap for the top and bottom corners.
I decided I didn’t want to paint it all black as it was done in the video, I went with covering it all with white Gesso, then when dry I added Picked Raspberry and Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide Sprays. I also flicked a bit of watered down Tarnished Brass Distress Stain over it also. These are a couple of faves in Distress colors. I then added a couple of the TH Chipboard words and the word “COLLECTION” with Dymo tape for the Title of my Journal. To finish it off, a couple more words on the spine! So… it has gone from a boring book cover to a work of art with a few simple steps and a bit of drying time!
For the inside of the covers, I used some Vintage paper and some burlap down the spine. I haven’t decided on how I will bind this one yet. On the left page, I made a double pocket to house some of the new tags I made and a quote with a Tim Holtz paper doll to finish it off.
Now I can start adding to it and decorating and making the signatures. I hope you might have a go at making your own collection journal as they are heaps fo fun to make!